Thursday, March 8, 2012

SALENTO TO THE DESERT

DAY-120

3/3/2012

        I currently have the cutest little 4 year old boy standing next to my chair watching me type to you and asking lots and lots of question. He keeps saying chow and then leaving just to sneak back and try an scare me. haha



        Alright let’s tell you about an epic day of riding Colombian style. Said my goodbyes and traded information with Dan and Jessica. (The little boy keeps coming back hola…chow) so far about 15 times. Hjaha So I made my way out of town and headed for the Tatacoa desert.  I had to climb over a huge pass which I must have passed over 100 trucks on the way up and another hundred on the way down. Awesome views although was very overcast all day. My bike made a few weird noises but I think it was just from altitude and going very slow, seems prefect now. I got very hungry, tired, needed food and water. I was running low on cash but found a place that seemed okay. Although I after a frustrating time with my bad Spanish I figured out they were out of Pollo, so I changed restaurants. I was exhausted and just needed food. I found my Pollo and ate very quickly getting back onto the road. Due to leaving around 10:30 and being told it would take 8-9 hours I didn’t think I would make it before dark.

        All of a sudden I realized I was making amazing time and if I found the shortcut I had been told of I might just make it before dark. I stopped at a gas station hoping they would take credit card, they did and also charged the card and extra 40 bucks and gave me cash, SWEET set for awhile. I was keeping my eyes out for the small sign that should indicate the shortcut; I saw it and blew right past it. I turned around and rode down a dirt road for about 5 minutes before dead ending into a huge river. I took a few pictures waiting for the boat on the other side to notice me. Not sure if this is it, but was told there would be a boat involved. Finally I screamed out Hola, yup that worked he fired up his little john boat and heading my way. Landed his boat, laid out a ramp, shook my hand, grab my bike with my help back it up the ramp and into the boat. I jumped in and sat on it holding it up right, we cruised across the river and beached it on the other side, quickly unloaded it. He gave me directions after a little confusion, he just looked at his wife who jumped onto a sweet Honda Super Cub and told me to follow. They got me onto the main dirt road and told me to go straight. I rode it for about 30 minutes and it was a lot of fun…I LOVE DIRT!!!! The road popped out onto a paved road and about 10 minutes later I was at the Observatory for the stars. Although it is too cloudy for them to open it up they let me set up my tent on their Property for the night. I walked over to a mess tent style restaurant and had Rice, eggs, plantains, and avocado. Now I just sat on the porch surrounded by dessert, then mountains in the distance, watched the sunset, and told you about my day.

 I was all set for bed, getting into my sleeping bag like an old man around 8pm. When I heard someone walking toward my tent, “HOLA” “HOLA” I didn’t say a word just waited, then I hear “Fletch?” What! No way it is Meit and Robin they made it, I crawl out and say hello. I grab my shoes and follow them to their Van; we sit and hang out with a few beers, while they make dinner. Nice to see them in the middle of nowhere, they didn’t think they were going to make it, due to the fact without the short cut it was an extra 2hrs. I headed to bed around 10ish.

Tomorrow I head for San Agustin.
MOTORCYCLES TO THE RIGHT FOR FREE!!!
WHERES THE BOAT?
HOLA!!!
ALRIGHT HERE WE GO
LETS ROCK
SITTING ON THE BIKE HOLDING IT UP
SUCCESS!!! TIME TO ROLL
NICE ROAD TOWARD THE DESERT
NICE RIDING
LONG DAY
AND IT WAS RAINING
CAMPING SPOT
SUNSET
SUNRISE
SUNRISE
SO SO LUCKY.. SO RAD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment